Tuesday, June 09, 2009

What a weekend...

The party went off despite all the last minute running around. The weather was not exactly cooperative and my nice backyard unfortunately was wasted but the burgers did not get soggy from the rain and I didn't have that many left overs to find room for in my overextended fridge. There was some drama as can be expected when teenagers collide but there were some laughs and some good times. Thank you to all who travelled the miles to be here. Your presence was much appreciated and despite the weather, the party was a success. One of my friends pointed out that she did not remember getting an elaborate ceremony or graduation for 8th grade but here in the Land of Lincoln, we acknowledge this Rite of Passage. For some of the kids, it's the only graduation they will have. To my daughter, it was a huge deal because the social life is EVERYTHING. When my son graduated, he was vaguely aware of it but it's different for girls, especially when the girls BFF graduated high school this year and her excitement over Pomp and Circumstance affected my daughter.

Now it's back to reality and I will celebrate reality with a nice trip to the U of C tomorrow for the 3 week check up. Oh yay.

Grades will be coming this week for the kids. My son is a little nervous but the year is over and hopefully, he will really put the pedal to the metal next year. He did manage to acheive placement in the UBER band next year and is interested in trying his hand at Jazz. The graduate received a 4.0 for the quarter and a 3.9 GPA for her two years. SHe received two academic awards and is nervous but excited about her high school career. I am just worrying about the Summer. I cannot wait to attend the CHicago Blues Festival this Friday where I will meet a friend I have not seen since grade school. We met up again on Facebook. I have three invites to grad parties. I will be attending the Independence Day Tea Party on July 4 after which I will be trekking up to Wisconsin to spend a WHOLE TEN DAYS AWAY from Ma Bell and Big Box Mart. I will attend one glass show to satisfy my glass lust. My china cabinet is just getting way too full. TIme for a new one of those. Whereever shall I put it? I am getting my bathroom done and will start the proceedings for a bedroom remodel.
I have no time for Sarcoma so it just better behave.
Here's to a good Summer!

No comments: