Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A minor success!! The Abilify seems to be helping Emily and she hasn't had a major meltdown in a few days. She was so awesome at the party on Saturday, that I showered her with praise all the way home! WE still have some work to do but with some of the fog cleared out of her head, we can work on the behaviors a little more easily.

My stomach is a little jumpy today. Tomorrow, I go through the gambit of tests at U of C, EKG, Blood work and then the dreaded scan results. I'm praying that I remain on the placebo for the next 6 weeks. I'll take the placebo forever if it means nothing grows and I've been been extra mindful of good nutrition the past 6 weeks and really making sure I consume heavy on Omega 3 fatty acids foods, eat my veggies, eat my fruits and juice every day. While grocery shopping the other day, I noticed in the Yogurt section, a drink that was called G.T's synergy, Kombucha, organic and raw tea. As almost nothing in the local grocery store is organic and raw, I put it in my cart and figured I'd give it a try. It contains no sugar, no fat, and billions of live GOOD bacteria. Sooo, I took it home and opened up the bottle and took a swig and crinkled my nose in a big way because it was sooooo sour. But since it seemed to be so good for me, I finished it all and was surprised to find that after I drank it, I felt so light headed and in a way, peaceful. I drank the second bottle and immediately felt that great light headed, airy, floaty feeling and now, I'm hooked, so hooked, I went out to get more. I went to the local Fruitful Yield and found the Kombucha in 20 different flavors!!! I bought some strawberry, mango, ginger, raspberry, citrus, blackberry and so far have crinkled my nose at every single flavor but I just love that airy feeling that is very different from the feeling I get drinking my daily glass of red wine. I know it sounds stupid but I'm getting great probiotics, ECGC which is an ingredient known for its cancer killing abilities, and a nice head rush. In my view, it's a winner.
I really enjoy looking for new good for me things to eat. On Friday, I went to a small, local farmers market that really had very little in the way of fresh produce but I picked up some homemade Hummus that was just to die for. It, on top of the fresh baked bread I bought, was fantastic! I can't wait to head to the market again on Friday and pick up some more. Who says that good nutrition tastes awful? It's a very strange thing...me, who used to consider eating healthy, putting tomatoes on my cheeseburgers, is now focused on nutrition, researches good foods, and has a pantry full of foods no one has ever heard of. THe fact is, focusing on nutrition is empowering. I feel as if I'm acting on my own behalf. I'm doing something for me that my Oncologist cannot do and who says it isn't making an impact? How can it not? I recently read an article on Science Daily that noted the increase in recent years in cases of Ewings Sarcoma. Cancer, in general, is on the rise but Ewings, being so rare, actually has Scientists taking notice. In the same block of studies, I read a study that the food we eat is becoming less and less nourishing as the nutrients have been processed right out of it. We are eating dead food that may quell hunger but does little to actually feed the cells. Why would that not have an effect on the rise in cancer? When I am asked about my own journey and mention use of nutrition, often I am looked at with the same expression as one looking at my pantry..WHAT IS THAT?? And they tell me I'm spreading some mumbo jumbo, hocus pocus, that makes no earthly sense. Obviously, I missed the memo that Chemo is the only thing that acts on cancer cells. I don't buy it. I will keep drinking my Kombucha, sprouting my Quinoa, and juicing that Kale.

1 comment:

Erin said...

You are so right, Kathy! Sarcoma starts as a single bad cell somewhere. If our body's immune system can be strengthened to fight off more bad cells, then we are waging war against cancer and a host of other diseases!