Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hurry up and wait!

The three week check up came and went.. It was typical. I worked until Midnight on Tuesday to get some work out of the way then woke up early to work some more before I had to leave for my standing appt. I waited in bad traffic due to pothole filling. Once I got to the U of C, I waited for the hospital vampires to take the blood. I waited in the waiting room to have vitals taken. I waited in the Dr.'s office and then waited in bad traffic on the way home on Lake Shore Drive AND the Eisenhower expressway. Due to Blues Fest, a thoroughfare was completely shut down but whatever. It was a nice day and I enjoyed looking at the Lake. Rule one for any cancer patient, be prepared to wait. Never go anywhere without an engaging book to read, crossword, a craft or something to engage the mind for the average wait time is around an hour. Sometimes, I size up other patients waiting with me. Some are knitting. Some are sleeping. Some are pacing back and forth. Some are talking on their cellphones. Oncology is a busy place and chairs are set up in the hallway to handle the spill over of people waiting. We cancer patients can think of 2000 things we would rather be doing. Time is precious.

That said, my bloodwork was fine. BP was fine. Heart rate was fine. I was released to my own devices. It's time to schedule the next scan. I hate hate hate scans but, after this scan, I go to a every 3 month scan schedule instead of every 6 weeks. Whatever will I do without the monthly dose of Barium? It just gets nastier every time and I find I drink less of it. It gives me a tummy ache and I spend the day running to the bathroom. Sometimes, the tech surprises me by making me drink another cup before hand. NO FAIR! WHen that happens, I feel sacked. But, I'm a good sport and drink it after shooting the tech a look when they are not looking. Immaturity can be fun.

This weekend is chock full of activity: Blues Fest, work, grad party, maybe some sleep. I haven't yet decided. There is not time however, for waiting.

1 comment:

Elsa D. said...

I am finding that I am drinking more and more. Last time I drank both bottles! I used to cry because I could not finish the first bottle.

eh eh soon I'll be begging for a third bottle.

Did you plant the rose bush? make sure that you buy one that survives the winter :)