Friday, June 12, 2009

Prayers for Michelle today as she goes through another surgery. I am praying for success and a drug for her that will do in the rest of those pesky tumors. I'm raising a glass of green juice in toast that it really is her turn to kick Sarcoma butt!

I'm also asking for prayers for 14 year old Derrick, a 14 year old MPNST patient who was placed in Hospice care two days ago. My arms are around him and his family in spirit and in prayer. I hate this cancer. I hate that it is one of the more common forms affecting children. I hate that no one in the drug development world cares about it and neither do big charity organizations like the American Cancer Society. Don't get me wrong. The ACS is a great organization in the area of patient support and they do donate millions to cancer research but almost none of their dollars go towards Sarcoma research or into any of the rare cancers. I worked two Relay's and enjoyed the experience. I had the opportunity to share the challenges that are presented to those of us who fight rare diseases when I was asked to give the Survivor talk last year. But, after some thought, I decided that my energy would be best served promoting education and research for Sarcomas. THe rarity of the disease warrants every loud voice in protestation, in education, in soliciting research dollars, that we can get and I can be very very loud.

In honor of my inspirations, Maura DeSouza, Amber, Derrick, donations will be made to a Sarcoma charity such as Jennifer Hunter Yates Sarcoma Foundation, The Sarcoma Foundation of America, The Sarcoma Alliance, or the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative. The best way I could think of to honor their lives and mourn their loss, is to work for a cure. For the rest of my Sarcoma friends still fighting, for the caregivers, family and friends who have supported us in our journey, I am making way for a rose bush somewhere, probably in the front yard. I believe that the roses will be yellow, the color of our awareness ribbon, the color of friendship and comaradery. Peace all.

5 comments:

Elsa D. said...

... and a hug for you Kathy.

Erin said...

Oh, Kathy, my heart is full. Thank you.
I agree with you. I want my volunteer work to be very specific to sarcoma awareness and research. My two favorite foundations at the moment are the Sarcoma Foundation and SARC. Maura's friends are also trying to figure out how they will raise awareness and funds. But we all need more time and distance. It's just too close.

Kip Clarke said...

Erin - check out www.kick-it.org if you're looking for a way to help with awareness and funds.My wife founded it on behalf of our son and a significant amount of our donations will go to MPNST-and related sarcoma research.
Kip

Kathy said...

Kip,
Thank you for letting me know about your organization. 20% of all pediatric cancers are Sarcomas. That fact alone should inspire the medical community to find new therapies for these tumors.

Kathy

Michelle said...

Thank you Kathy! I am doing great! I appreciate all the support. I am happy that I am able to get some of these pesky sarcoma's out of me.
Wheat grass! Find a website ( you can go online) that deliveries it to you. Or a health food store that you can buy it from. There is a place in my town that I buy 2 flats from every tuesday. A guy upstate Ny grows it. I never ordered it from anyone else. I know people out there sell it. The way to get fresh is a wheat grass juicer...but your juicer may be able too. I have a crank & electric. The electric is so much easier.
Good luck! Juice away!