Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm tired! What a week and it's not close to over yet. Tuesday, I worked at the Mart and it was the most boring evening I had there. The only good thing about it was leaving right at closing time but I did have to stop at Wal-greens to get cold medicine for Em who had a temperature. I picked up some gummy princess vitamins for Em and some regular vitamins for the kids. Since Kris lives on a diet of cheeseburgers and pizza puffs, I've started Veggie Monday. On Monday night, I cook a vegetarian dish loaded with all sorts of fresh vegetables and beans or rice. You would think I was killing him. I WANT MEAT! THERE'S NO MEAT!! I told him that at least once a week, I want a guarantee of something healthy in his little body. He's been sick 4 or 5 times with stomach flu or a cold or something since October and now has transferred it to Em and Cass. At least one of the three has had something in the past few weeks. So far, I'm fine but then again, I eat my veggies. Tuesday night, Kris informed me we would be rehearsing in front of his band class and I needed to be at his high school at 11:10 so I could accompany him. Well CRAP! The very thought of playing in front of a bunch of 14 year olds, who are probably way better than me at this point, gave me jitters. Wednesday morning, as I'm freaking out about having to do that, I received an email from the other member of survivor committee, stating she's sick and can I do the survivor speech at kick off. EEEEEE! I don't talk in front of people. I even hate speaking up on a darn conference call! The last time I gave any sort of talk in front of people was 1985 in my Rhetoric class and I SUCKED! But, well what the heck. Wednesday was performance day apparently! I ran out the door, dropped Em at daycare, and met Kris in the band room. Snagged a practice room and started to warm up a little. Every time I heard someone outside, I'd screw up. Gave myself a talking to! As if the 14 year old gives a damn or is even listening. After awhile Kris joined me so we could run through it once together. Mr. Confident was shaking. He said it was from doing weights in gym class. YEAH RIGHT! But, we got through it and ironically enough, he who performs all the time, was trying to keep it together up there. I told him to just look at me and not his very bored looking class. We survived. We got applause. A couple of his bandmates gave me a high five and it wasn't too terrible. I ran to my piano lesson, ran home, threw together some outline for my speech, did absolutely nothing in regards to work for AT&T and then ran out the door to my meeting. Surprisingly, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be and I didn't even look at my outline. My main goal was not to sound like an idiot. I made a couple women cry. It's not quite what I intended but I guess I said something that resonated. Mission accomplished. My main goal is to teach, educate, instill awareness for Sarcomas. Before diagnosis, I had never heard of it. Perhaps if I had, I may have taken the small bump more seriously and would have saved having some serious egg on my face. But, none of the people in the room knew about Sarcomas either and one or two came up to me to say that they would probably have blown something like off too because they do not grow in a major organ. I'd like to think that somewhere down the line, what I said
will save a life.

3 comments:

"Just" Joe said...

Way to go, Sis!

Nonalee said...

Two "high fives" for you! Or is that a "high ten?"

"Just" Joe said...

YAWN!!!! This blog sucks! BORING!!!

Why can't you just come to the present day! HELLO!