Monday, February 25, 2008

It's official, Kris and I WILL be performing that piece. EEEK!!!! I have no idea what time. As it gets closer to the day, we will know.

There has been not a whole lot going on. I fixed my wireless router problem by spending a ton of money on new one and replaced my black toner. HP charges 70 dollars for a pack of cartridges. UGH!!! It's not the huge things that tap into the monthtly budget. It's these little things: a punctured tire, a computer problem, an oil change, replacing a pair of gym shoes because your kid stepped in a bottomless puddle, your kid losing a jacket, a fried ignitor on the furnace. Life just nickels and dimes you to death. So there I am at Wal-mart on weekends. This weekend was no less a circus. I worked 8 hours on the busiest register in the store and yesterday, I must have dealt with the stores crabbiest customers.
A man, woman and their son came through my line. The woman had all her groceries arranged on the belt in the order she wanted me to bag them. Now, I'll admit, I never went to bagging academy. I try to be conscious about what I put where but I frankly never really noticed what the baggers put where when I shop. This lady hovered over me like a helicopter. I put something in a bag, she took it out and put it in a different bag. She was so close to me as I bagged things, I could feel her breath on my face. Every now and then, she'd make a snide comment, you don't put soda pop with cans. You don't put chips with that. Never put anything in with eggs. They should be bagged on their own. (I put light stuff in with eggs, a bag of chips or a loaf of bread). After a minute or two, this womans husband says. "Dear" (dripping with sarcasm) "If you are such a bagging expert, why don't you get a job here and show everyone?" This woman stands up straight and in a raised voice says "Well YOU'RE not the one who puts the stuff away! You've been a F'n Asshole all day! You're an ASSHOLE!" The man said, "Yup, it's all my fault. I'm the asshole!" I did not look up. I just kept grabbing groceries, scan, beep, bag, scan, beep, bag.. Finally, they stopped quibbling, she hands me two sweaters and insists she doesn't want me to scan them in any way that would allow them to touch the "dirty scanner". I started to remove the hangars as is policy and she says snidely, can I have those PLEASE? Sure, says I. I started to remove them so I could fit them in on top of the folded clothing and she says, "JUST PUT THEM IN THE BAG!" The next customer shot me a look of pity. Frankly, nothing any of my customers has ever said to me, yelled at me or pissed about has ever bothered me an iota. After 10 years in Restaurant, I have a thick skin when it comes to that stuff. I simply take the opportunity to shut the Hell up and get them out as sson as humanly possible. These incidents do result in some interesting stories about people and how ridiculous they can be. God bless em! And God bless that guy. He married that woman! I only had to deal with her for 10minutes.

Scan results are in but they want me to make an appointment to get them! ARGH! I at first thought it proves they found something. But, other patients state that their 3 months checkup is always scheduled after a scan so the Dr. can present the results, take questions and see if we have any concerns. So, I will do that. They probably did flag the surgical area. They did with my MRI. I just don't like this. It prolongs my position as cancer patient when all I want to do is get back to normal life as soon as possible and forget about it until 4 months from now and the next scan.

3 comments:

Nonalee said...

Sorry to hear about your crabby customers. Hey, they can be miserable, but do they have to make everyone else miserable too?

Anonymous said...

It is the customers lot in life to make your job miserable. Most of the customers do not realize that the cashiers or retail personnel do have a brain and a lot of times it is a second job for them. But the customers tack on brainless twit with your name tag.

"Just" Joe said...

I will try to make it to the gig.