Sunday, February 17, 2008

I had two 8 hour shifts at Big Box Store this weekend. Of course now, I'm 100% useless. Yesterday was crazy! They stuck me at the busiest register. I didn't look up from groceries all day. Person after person after person after person. One of my pet peeves has to be when an item someone wants to buy has not UPC code. I know how this happens. People load their carts with crap. When they get to the register, they change their minds about this thing or that thing and shove it anywhere. It's like a scavenger hunt after a busy day. We'll find a bra in the pepsi cooler. Kids clothing in with the batteries. frozen goods in with the gum. When we find it we put it in a shopping cart, sort it in the back and put it back on the shelves. Of course some have lost their tag in the process of being stuffed and shoved somewhere creative. Yesterday, one of the items I attempted to scan had a tag missing half it's numbers. Why? Because the small child in the shopping cart was chewing on it. Fortunately, the price was still intact. On a busy day, we are supposed to call the department and never get an answer because all the associates are busy shoving stuff back where it belongs. In the meantime, people get irritated, they start checking their watches, they start yelling at me and I just ask the customer, what do you think the price was? One buck? SOLD! Yes sir, I understand this shirt was on the $2.00 shelf. That's because someone decided they didn't want it and shoved on the $2.00 rack. I wonder sometimes if I'm working at an Indian market instead of a US Retail store. I've haggled prices with the best of them. And in the breakroom, we laugh at everyone and share war stories. I was lectured by some old lady yesterday because the price of Dixie cups went up 3 cents since the last time she bought Dixie cups. She could have bought the damn things last year for all I know. What can ya say? Gotta love people. Some transactions go smoothly. Sometimes, a customer will argue the price on everything. Oh no! that's 2.97 not 3 bux. Nope.. those batteries were in the dollar bin. Sorry, that's $5 not $9.95. As if they can seriously remember the price of every damn thing they put in there. So, it's over for another few days. Thank goodness!

All the kids have run through some sort of illness this week. Em woke up Monday night with Niagra Falls running out of her nose. Kris was up Wednesday night throwing up. Cass had a fever yesterday and this morning. I missed bowling to stay home with Kris and Em and decided to do my taxes. Had trouble with the tax software and was up until 1am and never did fix it. So, I was on the phone with support for 2 hours on Friday and finally my taxes are filed. Friday night, I downed two terrible tasting bottles of Barium Sulfate and had my CT scan done. Afterwards, I was a little depressed. I never have a good feeling after one of those things. The last 3 have not been the greatest and they always find something. I changed my entire diet. I've had one bite of chocolate since New Years. Otherwise, all I've been eating is fruits, veggies, rice and beans, getting 8 full hours of sleep, and drinking organic juice when I would like nothing more than a cheeseburger and a side of fries. I am hoping it was not all for naught. And of course, since the kids were sick, I'm sure my body is fighting off some virus and some lymph node is swollen so my Dr. can freak about that. That's about all. I haven't been in any sort of trouble for ages. I think that's a sign I'm not having any fun. I think it's time!
Getting an estimate on my flooring on Wednesday. That's something to look forward to.

No comments: