Sunday, January 11, 2009

16 Random things...for Nonalee

Every now and then you get one of those getting to know you thingys in your email. I rarely fill them out because generally I'm running off somewhere or doing something else or getting distracted. But tonight, in a feat rarely performed in my email inbox or anywhere I occupy in Cyberspace, I will take part in one. This is for Nonalee who sent it..

"Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 16 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose at least 16 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you!!"

1) I am a politics junkie. I'm not Democrat. I'm not Republican. I am Libertarian. I did NOT vote for Obama. I live in Chicago and do not vote for politicians that come out of this city. They are all crooks. That said, I put faith in individuals not government. Thomas Jefferson said "A Government big enough to give you all you want, is powerful enough to take all you have."

2) M&M's, Almond Joys and Mounds bars are my FAVORITE candies, that is when I ate sugar. Now I vicariously enjoy them.

3) I won an essay contest when I was in the 8th grade entitled "What Freedom Means to Me." I won a $100 bond, a nice certificate, had my name in the paper and the Congressman who sponsored the Essay contest came to my school to give me the award personally. They pulled me out of gym when I was all sweaty and gross and captured that image for posterity in the Downers Grove Reporter.

4) I rarely watch TV. I either listen to the radio or surf the net instead. The only time I ever watch TV is when I'm ready to fall asleep at night or am sick in bed. When I do watch TV, I watch TNT.

5) I play the piano. I started when I was 9 and have taken lessons on and off since then. I currently am on a break from my lessons but will start again as soon as some things are out of the way. When I was in college, I played piano at two banquets. I have terrible performance anxiety and rarely play for anyone other than myself, the cats and the dust bunnies.

6) When I was in the 8th grade, I took roller skating lessons. After a few lessons, the instructor took me aside and told me I had natural skating talent and should take private lessons to develop my skills. My parents Kaboshed that idea and I never became the next Peggy Fleming.

7) I am a RECOVERED Anorexic/Bulimic and suffer from clinical Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder which I have managed without medication for some years. It was my first victory in the many battles I've had to fight with myself. I still talk to some young women and sometimes men who suffer with Eating Disorders. I hope I showed them that they can recover and that there is a life beyond it.

8) I am allergic to most metals. I have pierced ears but around my 19th birthday, I couldn't wear earrings anymore as they would make my earlobe swell and itch. I found that the only jewelry I can wear is a necklace. Any metal on my skin too long causes a rash.

9) I collect Depression Glass (Glass manufactured during the Depression Era) and Elegant Glass which is a finer grade glassware made during the 20's - 70's. I have a huge cabinet full of it and I could probably furnish my house with what I paid for it but I love it! It's one of the things in my life I love doing most. YAY ANTIQUING! YAY DEBT!

10) I was part of a Ghost Hunting group for about a year. I have always been interested in the paranormal. Did I find a ghost? Oddly enough, not really on my ghost hunting expeditions but the townhome I was living in had some very odd goings on. The people I sold it to, moved out when they saw the figure of a little girl in the upstairs bathroom. I have a few stories about life there as well though I never saw anything.

11) I am afraid of heights and I get nervous on bridges over large waterways like the Mississippi river. I go to Iowa to visit friends and when crossing the I80 bridge over the Mississippi, I always drive on the inside lane with both hands on the steering wheel, holding on for dear life.

12) I eat everything and I mean absolutely everything including tacos and pizza with a knife and fork. Well, maybe not soup but, you know what I mean.

13) My favorite beverages are coffee and beer from Micro Breweries. I rarely drink anymore. When I drink, I want a GOOD beer. Amber Ales, Bock and Brown Ales are my favorites. YAY DRUNKENESS!

14) I have a smart ass 15 year old son who is standing over my shoulder saying smart ass things about what I am writing.

15) I used to be a blonde, a natural blonde. During my college, my hair turned brown and it is still brown with those annoying little gray strands which I pick out with tweezers when no one is looking.

16) I can't stand peanut butter and I never could stand peanut butter. I do like Thai Peanut sauce and peanut soup but peanut butter...BLECH!

There ya have it. Proof that I am 100% BORING! I never won a Pulizer. I am not a closet millionaire. I did not save millions of lives.

This concludes our broadcast day. Have a good night :)

2 comments:

Nonalee said...

Yay! I've been thinking about you a lot. Love and hugs from the Gardner family...

Neil Bergman said...

Very interesting. Not a bad way to catch up after 23 years. 8^)

I don't know if Nonalee wrote to you yet but I found her rather unusual first name on Facebook. I don't know if you remember me from freshman year at U. of Iowa. I lived in the next hall in Burge. Nona brought me a little up to date. If you wish you can find me on Facebook. We have friends just around the corner from you as well.

Hope to hear from you,

Neil Bergman