Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Picture day

Yesterday was the yearly trip to the mall for the photo shoot. It is the only time you will catch my butt near a shopping mall until either dragged by my hair or after the last Christmas Sale whichever comes first. I picked the worst day of the year. It rained and froze all day. Emily, in spite of herself, was pretty darn good and got to see Santa Claus after the ordeal. After she saw Santa, she felt free to revert to her terrorist little self and it was then time to go home and put her to sleep so I could rest. The bonus: The pictures all turned out great and it was most difficult trying to figure out what to buy.

Cassie got a little penguin for her birthday that says a word when you press its little wing or flipper or whatever you call what penguins have. On Monday, Cassie ran up to me and said "I figured out what I'm going to name him!" "Oh?" says I, "What?" "DOUCHE!" she says. Kristopher nearly choked on his water and I was trying hard not to laugh. I said, "um Cass. Maybe you want to think of a different name." She said "but he says "Douch" when I press his wing/flipper." I said, "I doubt that." She couldn't understand why we were busting a gut laughing at her. The penguin actually says "Fish" when you squeeze him. And after I explained to her what "Douche" actually means, she huffed off to her room. She did actually change the name. And she now has her own container of Vagisil...err Vaseline.

The difference between the Catholic Bible and the Protestant Bible is the addition of the Apocrypha and a longer version of the Book of Esther and the addition of one or two other Old Testament Books. During the Big Schism, Martin Luther chose to omit these. In any case, there are many translations of the Bible. 250 people can read the same passage and come up with 250 meanings. A religion teacher in high school, told us to glean at least the essence of what is being said. Look for the larger meaning and don't focus too much on words. It's the actions of Jesus we need to pay more attention to. In everything you do, ask what would Jesus do? How would He handle it?
I ponder religion often. Most would find that surprising because I don't really go to church but I don't call myself a non-practicing Catholic. I have a relationship with the Almighty. It may not be traditional but it is mine. I'm sure there are plenty who go to Church and spend that time thinking about lawn mowing, that nap they're going to take when they get home and whose big idea 7:30am Mass is?

Our all Christmas song station stinks. I have been listening to it because Emily loves it. Their Playlist:

Mel Torme - The Christmas Song followed by the Nat King Cole version one hour later, followed by the Musak version the hour after that and so on until every one who has ever sang it or played it, has been represented.

Silver Bells by Anne Murray, followed by Bing Crosby..followed by...

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams every hour because we just can't have too much of THAT song.

Santa Baby by Madonna and then for a real treat, they'll play the Eartha Kitt version a couple hours later.

Can't have too much Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer, Frosty and Holly Jolly Christmas. Everytime I turn on the station, I hear one of these in the 15 minutes I am forced to listen to this station.

There's nothing like any Christmas music sung by Barbara Streisand or Neil Diamond.

Do You Hear What I Hear by Whitney Houston and Johnny Mathis and sometimes the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Andy Williams and....

OH BOY! The Trans Siberian Orchestra! SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

Santa Claus is Coming To Town by one of the billions of artists who has recorded it.

It just really grates my cheese. This one baffles me. Twice I've heard Dan Fogelberg's "Another Auld Lang Syne" which mentions Christmas Eve in one line. There's barely anything religious. Yes, sometimes they throw something in like JOy to the World or God Rest Ye Merry Gentlman but that's after at least 4 hours of Gene Autry Rudolf followed by Burl Ives Rudolf followed by the immortal song that EVERYONE has on their sing along list "Suzy Snowflake." Where is "Mary Did you Know?" Where is the Halleluiah Chorus? No, lets listen to Merry Christmas Darling sung by Karen Carpenter and follow that up with Silver and Gold. GAH!
I played my favorites on the piano today. For Emily, I shall continue to cringe and listen to another rendition of "Winter Wonderland".

To the Lite, you really need more than a 10 song playlist. End of gripe. HO HO HO.
I think I'll make that my friggin Christmas Wish.

3 comments:

"Just" Joe said...

Is it Christmas time? I haven't noticed. Anyway, I too cringe at some of the Christmas music playing these days... It's the holiday season... Well, whoop-dee doo... a plickety-plaque... Santa has something crawling up his back! It's Christmas time, we want your dime... ummmm... So spend it here so you're in the arrears...blah blah, Rudolph! :)

Kathy said...

I was erroneous in my statement. The LITE has an 11 song playlist. I forgot Jingle Bells and all its incarnations. As predicted, I heard Frosty on the way to daycare and Holly Jolly Christmas on the way back. It's for Em. I keep reminding myself it's for Em.

"Just" Joe said...

"Erroneous"? What, you been studying for the GRE or something? Geesh! Big words! Big words!