Thursday, December 06, 2007

Dude, where's my car?

It snowed Tuesday night:the first significant snow of the season. I wandered into Walmart to do more of those courses but my ID, though reactivated, needed an additional 24 hours to show up in the system as such. So, I picked up some Christmas gifts I ordered and had shipped there and wandered out into the parking lot. I couldn't find my car. I am the queen of "can't find my car". I have a tendency to do that often because my brain is on 100 other things that I just don't pay attention to something as insignificant as where the Hell I parked. So, I try to look cool as I wander in and out of lanes when I'm really thinking "WTF!" Such was that night but it's difficult to look cool carrying a huge box with a car following me hoping to snag my spot as I then realize my car isn't there and duck between two mini vans. 15 minutes later the idea of theft crossed my mind and then I caught myself. "Who would want MY car?" It's a van with scratches on both sides because someone keyed it and two missing door handles on the back due to two ice storms that iced my doors shut. I ripped those suckers right off trying to get the door open and almost beat the living hell out of the car out of frustration! I found it exactly 3 lanes down from where I swear I parked it. I'm a yutz!

When I got home, Emily was all excited because it was snowing and she wanted to go out right then and build a snowman. She spent a lot of time at the window watching the snow. So did I. Though I usually find snow annoying, I was struck by the quiet as I got out of the car and stood there for a bit just noticing how peaceful it was outside. It looked really pretty over our outside lighted deer family, the garland on the railings and the trees. The trees were frosted..very nice. And then reality struck yesterday when I had to go outside and shovel all 6 inches plus what the snow plow threw on the end of my driveway. Magic over.

It was Cassie's birthday yesterday. She is now an official annoying teenager. I gave her a purse with some makeup, (mascara and some eye shadow, a lip balm, and a $50 gift card to her favorite store. I put a $100 in the little wallet in there which was a cash gift from relatives. She asked for Tacos to eat and I bought a small birthday cake. She spent the evening putting her pens and pencils, bus pass etc. into her new purse.

3 comments:

"Just" Joe said...

That's cute.. a little purse. It's snowing here now... It's cold, too. I hate cold.

Nonalee said...

Tell Cassie "Happy Belated Birthday" from our clan. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

From me too.