Thursday, March 05, 2009

Insanity....it's the only way to go.

Yesterday, I finished work before 9pm!! It was such a refreshing change as I am usually sitting here all day trying to stay ahead of the game on my two fairly HUMONGOUS accounts. I was caught up by 5pm!! WOOHOO!! I figured a proper celebration would be to leave the house and get away from my constantly fighting kids and go to Whole Foods to get the missing ingredient for a fresh juice that I wanted to try made of beets (which I hate but..they are good for the liver), apples, ginger, lemon and dandelion greens. Dandelion greens?? I was vaguely aware that they were edible. After doing a simple search on where one can get them when they are not growing unwanted in my lawn, Whole Foods came up as a supplier of fresh, organic, weeds. So, yes, I got in my car and trekked almost 20 miles to purchase an organic version of the very thing my lawn care service sprays every year. I love Whole Foods! When I enter, I am just dumbfounded at the amount of absolutely perfect local fruit of all colors, shapes, sizes and types, stacked as far as the eye can see when I enter the store. Blueberries, apples, strawberry, mango, 6 different species of grapfruit, 8 different types of organic fungus, broccoli, more greens than I can imagine..it's heaven.....for about 3 minutes until you look at the prices on this stuff and find that you are paying 2.99 for a handful of organic lettuce. 1.99 for 6 organic celery stalks and $2.99 for a bunch of organic dandy-lion greens. I laughed as I put the weeds in my cart and my son ribbed me all night and said I could just go outside and dig some up if I wanted to wait a month. We have a great dandy-lion farm on the corner and I'm sure the folks that live there wouldn't mind me relieving them of the amount they have growing yearly. But I wanted them now and for real fun, I browsed the shelves and loaded my cart with raw, organic, flax bars, raw nuts, Ezekiel bread, raw honey, crackers baked and prepared with no oils, fresh cheeses, and raw coconut milk based ice cream. My two measly little bags cost about $150 but what can I say? Health costs and I got my weeds which are all ready for my juicer and I got a neato bottle of organic red wine..for um...resveratrol and um antioxidants.
I really have no idea if this is at all acting on the cancer but it's fun for a lifetime and fun for my pocketbook which just loves all the workouts its gotten lately. I am saying this tongue in cheek.
To quote our dipstick in chief, "Have you seen the price of Arugula these days?"

Maybe the next time I finish my work early, I'll do something normal like watch TV but I sure can't wait to drink that fresh glass of apple weed ala beet!

No comments: