Saturday, December 10, 2005

Merry Christmas Dammit

GAH! More snow. It's supposed to snow all weekend. What fun! Going out and scraping my car is such a joy. I can't believe how quickly Christmas is coming up. IS anyone done shopping? It's been such a busy few weeks, I can't even find time to do ONLINE shopping. I brought the kids to get their portraits taken. It's always a good time especially when your precocious toddler won't sit for the portraits, kicks, screams and causes a ruckus. But, it all came out well in the end. Once she realized that people applauded her when she sat still, I couldn't get her out of there. She was posing like a model after awhile. Last weekend saw Cassie's 11th birthday on top of it all. We had a nice weekend planned for her which included theater tickets to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and of course, it was snowing. Any good Chicagoan knows that when it snows, people drive reallllllyyyy slooooowwwwwww. We sat in stop and go traffic all the way to the city. Stupid snow! The show was fun though. Darn music has been going through my head allllllll week. To top it all off, the restaurant we chose lost their liquor license. What's Italian food without a nice glass of Merlot?????? Ah well..a good time was had by all...I think. Thursday, I went to Cassie's "Holiday" play. It's OK to say Happy Kwanza and Happy Hannukah but Merry Christmas is just not acceptable in Chicago these days. So, Cassie's play was cute and oh so politically correct. Now seriously, her play covered the history of Kwanza and the miracle of the oil that gave birth to the celebration of Hannukah, why couldn't they mention that Christmas is...dare I say it...a celebration of the birth of..here goes.. JESUS! OH MY! I SAID IT! THE J WORD! TABOOOOOOOOO!!!! So sick of this I am.. Every Christmas around here it's the same garbage. No one can mention Christmas. No one can talk about anything except Santa Claus, that non denominational, holiday figure. I understand mulitculturalism but I have never been offended by anyone talking about Ramadan, Hannukah, Kwanza, Siva, Vishnu or the Buddha in my presence. It certainly didn't make me feel excluded. Nor was I going to run to the nearest Temple or Mosque and switch Religions. I am Catholic. Born Catholic. Raised Catholic and no matter what anyone says, I have never been able to stop being Catholic. Seeing a dreidle or Menorrah sure isn't going to change it either. (If I spelled those wrong, I am sorry) Nor I have never known one Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, etc. friend of mine to be offended at the mention of Christmas or a Christian friend to be offended by Hannukah. So I would like to know, WHO IS COMPLAINING? AND GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!!! End of rant. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Back to the play. It was politically correct. THe hightlight was when someones kid brother jumped the kid playing Santa Claus and gave him a punch in the belly. HEE HEE... An embarrassed parent did try to restrain the child to no avail. I missed getting it on video because I was focusing the camera on Cassie as if anyone wanted to see her anyway. :) Well that is all for now. I have to scrape my car, then move it off the street before the dang snowplow comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the CHRISTMAS tree e-mail. Very fitting as even at DB we are not allowed to wish someone Merry Christmas, even though I do anyway. People are coming in CHRISTMAS shopping. Haven't had anyone say they are Hannuka shopping or Kwanza shopping.