Friday, September 24, 2010

The results of my scans showed 3 more months of sweet stability. Though my 2.3cm nodule had been growing at the rate of about 1mm a month, there was no growth to that nodule in these past 3 months but more importantly, there were NO new lesions and this had to be the most boring report ever as the comments focused on the staples and screws in my right acetabulum and some diverticular disease in my colon which is normal for a woman my age. Now the fun will begin. We discussed the Brivanib trial and my participation in it and decided that I will stay on the trial and will need to have a Pulmonary Function Test and a consult with the thoracic surgeon at the U of C. If the thoracic surgeon says "Yes, I can resect these," my participation in the trial will end and the next leg of this journey will commence as planned. I cannot describe my life in any terms these past two years other than a complete dismantling. Some aspects have remained the same but others have transformed and changed in ways that I never anticipated. I experienced loss, more loss in the past two years than in my entire life: loss of job, loss of security, loss of health, loss of so many good friends to cancer, loss of financial security, and loss of a way of life I was content with. Nevertheless, the foundation and some aspects of it are still intact and as I sit here and type this, a new house is being built. Without a blueprint, I don't exactly know what the final product will look like but the frame is there, even though sometimes I try to move myself from this house and veer towards the old one, I am propelled forward but to what? Time will tell. Signs that I'm moving in the right direction: no new lesions for over 2 years and no growth in a period of growth to the existing nodules. I scored a 99% on the NLN even after believing that I bombed it, the entrance of new friends and some old ones that have made a grand re-entrance in my life, my two best friends are still my two best friends, Kristopher said the words "Mom, I have to study for a test" for the first time in his young life, my family in cancer who have adopted me into their community, success in school, bills are getting paid even though I have medical bills in collection and I'm sure my credit score is sinking daily, I'm not living in the street and I'm anticipating that the new job that I'm supposed to take will come when I need it.
PFT test is scheduled for Monday. I have no doubt my lungs are fine and my kids can verify that. A full day at the U of C, my new home away from home, is planned for Wednesday. Thank you to all who so diligently voted for our Sarcoma Awareness Nascar. I have my fingers crossed that we made the finals.

My Book store

My DVD Store

Blog

1 comment:

Erin said...

kathy!!!! this is such wonderful news! No growth. Stable. Whatever you're eating or not eating, whatever you're doing or not doing, please keep doing and not doing it! It's working.
Hey, here's a thought: maybe being slightly unemployed is good for you. Hmmm... what does that say? Less stress? Or maybe just a different kind of stress?
Go, Kathy!
Go, little Nascar design!
Go, pulmonary function! Woo-hoo!
Go, BBQ for Nck and Friends!
Btw, you said "see you there" in your post about the BBQ benefit...Are you going, i.e coming to Texas??