Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The first day of....

I'm not quite sure.
Yesterday, I took the last final of the Semester and received my longed for A in Anatomy. WOOHOO! After my Anatomy final, I came home, poured myself a glass of red and celebrated by doing nothing except enjoying the wonderful glass of cheap red wine and a movie. I relished the wonderful feeling of having nothing pressing to do for about 2 hours. Today, I looked at my wreck of a house and asked myself, where do I even start. Piles of laundry are stacked up in every room, under every piece of furniture and yes, even hidden under the stairs. But because this is my life and nothing goes very smoothly in it, my washing machine died this morning. The timing just could not be better. With a broken stove to match it and impending unemployment less than a week away, I once again will have to put buying a new stove on hold and buy the new washing machine instead. One of these days, I will have a functional stove and not a decoration sitting in my kitchen. My crock pot, toaster oven and microwave have served me well. Perhaps they can hold up a little while longer. I made my way to Walmart to buy cleaning supplies. Tomorrow, after I do my morning job search, I'll begin on removing dirt and putting it back outside. This will be no easy feat. As a matter of fact, my house could probably be a great episode for "How Clean is Your House." I welcome those two British ladies to try and make this disaster look habitable again. Three weeks ago, I yanked the cable from the computer monitor and told the kids that Facebook is defunct until they actually finish a chore. Yep, three weeks ago I told them that. They still don't have their cable back. They are all of the sudden really interested in writing papers and doing homework....on my computer. Considering my son hasn't handed in an assignment in his Law and Government class YET this quarter.....
So, tomorrow will be the first day of getting a chore finished, the first day seeing my floors again after 8 months, the first day of unfettered free time that really isn't free until after I remove dust, dirt, fingerprints, old food, cat hair (LOTS OF THAT) and bacteria that probably thought it had a permanent home from my house. Then we'll take it from there. Monday, school starts up again but class is for two hours in the morning. Then what?

2 comments:

Sue G said...

So many first ahead for you. Be excited. I wish we still lived in Chicago because I would send my husband over to check out the stove and washing machine. He is a wiz when it comes to fixing things. He is slow, methodical, drives me crazy because i just want him to fix it already...but he can troubleshoot anything. Just a thought.

As for housekeeping, I read about a company that offers free housecleaning to moms who have cancer. They are in most states, so I will have to check out IL and make sure about that for you. Heck, even if they came once a month that would be a help.

Funny, how people can live in the same house all their lives and still appear to not have a clue when it comes to what needs to be done.

Elsa D. said...

oh Kathy I feel the same way! I don't know where to start. I have managed to keep my younger daughter's room clean since she is the only one that can keep it that way... at the moment my room can only be saved by the two British ladies...
A big hug, you are always in my thoughts. It is fantastic that you are still on Brivanib (even if it placebo ;)