Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The holiday weekend was busy, thoroughly busy. Due to the economy, no one really left this area and Big Box Store was hopping. I was plopped in the garden center on Sunday and it was an absolutely perfect day. The sun was shining and it was cool and crisp and perfect for planting. I am NOT a gardener. Perhaps if I had a free moment, I could do well at it but for now, the only thing I am accomplished at growing is nettles and dandelions. Petunias are the only flower that I can't kill easily, so inspired by all the beautiful plants my customers were buying, a bought a hanging basket for my deck and some petunias for the front yard. I had a wonderful conversation with a customer about blackberry bushes and strawberry plants and when I redo my landscaping, am definitely going to set aside a small corner for some blackberries and strawberries, two of my absolute FAVORITE foods! Monday, I had a day off from both jobs and I accomplished much in procuring supplies for Cassie's big bash on June 6th. Balloons were ordered. Soda, ice tea, chips, and crackers were bought. Cassie picked out a graduation cake and I put in an order for some party trays from the local supermarket. Due to the fact that I am grill-less, I went shopping for a new one and will pick up this coming weekend. I once had a wonderful Weber grill but a certain little boy, who shall be nameless decided that crashing his bike into the grill was more efficient than actually using the brakes. The gas grill that came with this house when I bought it, houses a few wasps every year but is basically completely defunct and we are barbecuing hamburgers for this grad party.

I am feeling well and am enjoying the time off from med side effects and all the wonderful summer fruits and vegetables that have made great salads and juices and of course, snacks to be eaten raw. There is a small farmers market on Fridays at one of the local grocery stores. I think this week, I will take some time and meander over there for some lunch break fun.

Finally, Happy Birthday to my son who is 16 today. 16!!! I don't believe I'm old enough to have a 16 year old but there it is on his birth certificate. Kristopher born 5/27/1993 12:57am. 19 3/4 inches long. 6lbs 15oz. He was my smallest baby as he was born 3 weeks early. My girls were 8+ pounders. He was born on a perfect day. It was sunny. It was clear and crisp and of course, his timing was terrible. I was in downtown Chicago, 40 miles from home, at a PreNatal appointment having my final ultrasound. I was told to keep a full bladder. At 8 months pregnant, that was not hard. After my appointment, on the way to the car, my water broke. Thinking it was a consequence of being 8 months pregnant with a bladder the size of a thimble, no immediate bells rang until the trickle became a gush and there I was 40 miles from home, alone, wondering if I should go back in the hospital and casually mention to the Dr. that my water broke, or navigate noon traffic and go home and get my husband. I opted for the latter, forgetting it was Blues Festival weekend and most of the routes out of the city of Chicago were closed to through traffic. I arrived home, woke up sleeping hubby, packed a suitcase, and we navigated the traffic once again to the hospital which was located in downtown Chicago and darn near impossible to get to. 12 hours later, my son was born. He was so small, so cute, so perfect in every way. Blonde hair. Blue eyes. My face. It was like looking into a 20 year old mirror. When my son was older, my father pulled out some old home movies to show Kris what his mother looked like way back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth. My son didn't quite understand that these were photos of me. He commented he did not remember doing those things. Today, that baby is 16. We have gone through a divorce, years of poverty, Kindegarten, grade school and Junior High, first steps, first teeth, first words, baseball, band, two moves, cabin trips, scrapes, cuts and bruises, appendicitis, a fever that reached 105 degrees, frustrations, joys, tears, anger, happiness, disappointment, and now hope for his future. In two years, the State will deem my son an adult. In my eyes, he will always be my baby.

No comments: