Sunday, January 06, 2008

The holidays are officially over and not only because today is the Feast of the 3 Kings, but because all our Christmas decorations and accessories are now tucked back into their boxes under the stairs and the usual stains, wine, beer, salsa, cat yak and the mystery stains are scattered all over the carpet and couch cushions. It's unseasonably warm. Even all of last weeks snow is melted and now what looks like a creek is running alongside the curb. My second job at the big box retailer is less hectic. No one has any money. I've run into more declined credit cards this week than before Christmas. I seriously hate when that happens and I try not to embarrass the person. I show them the decline slip and hope and pray they have another one that will work. Scanning groceries isn't too hard. For mental excercise, I look for patterns and trends...how many people buy what, how most people pay etc. etc.
This week, Wiper blades and windshield wiper fluid are almost in every cart.
Most Hispanics pay cash and have lots of large bills 50's, 100's
Most white people pay with the credit or debit card.
30% of my customers buy food with the IL Link card. It used to be they had to separate the food from the non food. Now, the card automatically figures out what is food and what isn't.
Today was back to school shopping based on the amount of lunchables, lunch meat, juice boxes, bread and fruit snacks I sold.
The average that people spend in a trip is about 60 bux
A woman used a credit card for a 2.00 item today.

After talking with the Co-workers, there is not a single one among us who doesn't have some serious problems in their life. Whether it be health, relationships or financial, everyone there has something going on. Based on the amount of declined cards, that goes for life beyond the big box. I try to remind myself that others spend lots of time behind the facade. Yes, that person may drive a BMW but how much is really his and how much belongs to some bank? A woman made a $75 payment on a Visa today that had a balance of over $3000. I doubt it was her only card. From what my Father-in-law the accountant says, he deals with more people with six figure incomes that are closer to poor than those of us in the middle class. Apparently, 6 figure income for some means 6 figures of debt (beyond the mortgage). If they should lose that 6 figure income, their house of cards will come crashing down.

I'm not sure what my point is. I guess I compare myself to others though I really shouldn't and convince myself that others are better off. Working at the big box, I have been shown time and time again that this is not so. We're all struggling with something and if you're not at this time, don't worry, your time cometh. For now, though, my contributions to those customers lives is minimal, I try to smile at each one and thank them. For some that patronize our store, it's the only bit of kindness they see in a day. One of my customers told me, "I had you last time. I like you." I think that was nice :)
We are not alone.
We all can make a small difference.

No comments: