Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Thus ends Cycle 1

I have been on the Brivanib 3 weeks and Cycle 1 is now complete. To celebrate, I spent the entire darn day at the U of C, dragging myself out of bed at 5:00am so I could pack a lunch, get dressed, have breakfast and some coffee. Getting Emily up was a bit of a challenge. Em spent the day in bed yesterday after throwing up all night. She was quite exhausted and didn't want to be disturbed by any means and told me she wasn't getting out of bed until the sun came up! Smart girl!
Sat in traffic as usual for 90 minutes and was 30 minutes late. Took the first blood draw and I was told to be back in 3 hours so I wandered down to the 4th floor atrium and joined the Gilda's Club meeting and talked to one cancer caretaker and another cancer patient until the 1:00pm draw. We had some vein issues at that draw and after the nurse dug the needle in my arm a few times I said "the other arm is juicier. Try using that one." A nice bruise is forming on both arms. The clinical trial nurse came to talk to me and stated that my Platelet count was a little low last week so he ordered another CBC. He said not to worry, they weren't low enough that I'll bleed to death but the number was below normal and he was concerned that it was a side effect of the drug. OH YAY!! Something else to worry about. I went downstairs after the draw and though, great! What if I get kicked out of the study for this. Then what? It replaced my worries that my CT scan will not show any stability or improvement for just a little while. I decided to just chill and eat my lunch, realized I forgot a fork and wandered to the cafeteria hoping that the forks would be outside in the dining room but no.. they were by the cashier. Bought a little fruit bowl just so I could take a fork and knife and then went back downstairs to my comfy chair in the 4th floor atrium. I ate the fruit and was just starting on my salad when I heard my name being called upstairs. The 5th and 6th floors are built so that they overlook the 4th floor atrium. The chairs I sit in are directly below Oncology and I can see the people waiting in line to check in. I jammed my salad back into my lunch box and went upstairs to see what I missed. Apparently, I had an appt to see the Dr. We went over my blood work and all is OK! WHEW! Blood pressure is normal. Temp was normal. Weight is unchanged. Blood work is normal. My body seems to be handling this drug just fine. So starts Cycle 2. In two weeks, I'll be scanned and we shall see if there are any positive results. After no positive results for any of these scan things, I am very, very, anxious about this one. Cancer patients call it Scanxiety. I am just loaded with it.

Now, I am home. I have had it with traffic! I am slipping in the matrix until the next scan and not giving cancer any pen time.
So far side effects have been:
Lightheadedness
Fatigue
Thirst
None have been to a degree that it has interfered with my life. I will start moving the drug time to nights so that the little lightheadedness and fatigue I feel will be while I sleep anyway.

Praying for good results!

No comments: