Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Desiderata


You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.


I have recently started to read "Eat,Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's a story of a journey to self discovery that the author took after a particularly nasty divorce. At the beginning of the novel, she talks about the bickering and fighting that she and her soon to be ex engage in as she begs and pleads for him to sign the final agreement and she puts forth her final offer. The divorce had gone on for over a year and she felt trapped in one place. Desiring to move forward, get over the emotional roller coaster and work on rebuilding her life, she desperately wanted his signature on that agreement. She speaks to her divorce attorney and says that she doesn't feel comfortable praying to God for that signature. The Creator of all things wouldn't want to be straddled with such a petty request when He had wars and other larger sufferings to tend to. Her attorney says, why wouldn't He want to intercede? She was a child of the universe after all. She had every right to petition the universe, God, the Creator to end the suffering. Liz writes a petition to God and her attorney signs it, her friends sign it, and shortly after sending her petition to God with the many signatures, her husband signs the final agreement. Later that evening, as I was typing along on my computer with the TV on in the background, which is a noise I usually ignore. Anyone who knows me well knows I rarely watch TV, however, Emily and I were watching a movie on ABC Family and Emily had settled in on the couch to fall asleep in front of the TV. Joel Osteen, who I never listen to though I know many of my friends do, had come on after the movie and recited this same theme. "Talk to your mountain," he said, "Tell the mountain how big your God is. Petition the mountain to GET OUT OF THE WAY." I'm a firm believer that God, the Universe and everything speaks to us every day through many means, through others, through email, through music, through books, through whatever means possible to get our attention. I had read in the book "Conversations With God" that in everything give thanks. God has already provided everything you need and will continue to do so. Every day, give thanks for the blessings. Shortly after I lost my job, I had a moment of worry as I drove down the highway to an Oncology appointment. What about the kids? What about the mortgage? What about the insurance? How am I going to make it on unemployment? A few minutes later a car zoomed ahead of me and I started when I saw the license plate. It said "Give THX!" So I am writing a petition of my own to God.
Dear God,
I know you have much on your hands but as I sit and write this I am asking for a successful surgery in December and the perfect job whenever that may come. More importantly, I am asking for success for the many organizations that raise money for Sarcoma. I am asking for new treatments for those suffering with this disease. I am asking for comfort for those who have lost a parent, a child, a friend, or someone that was dearly loved to this cancer. I am asking for the power to generate awareness, raise funds etc. Please lead me to the right people. Cancer needs to GET OUT OF THE WAY. My DEBT needs to get out of the way. Those things are holding me back. They are holding back many of your people. Those things NEED TO BE ELIMINATED to reduce the sadness and suffering in the universe. Those things NEED TO BE ELIMINATED so that these children, young adults, and seasoned adults can DO GREAT THINGS in your honor!
I am humbly asking for a resolution to this problem and THANK YOU for what has already been accomplished and all the great people you send to help!!
Kathy

____________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.greatbooksforu.com
http://www.greatdvdsforu.com

2 comments:

Sue G said...

Well, a good first try, inching those mountains further away. But the God I know casts mountains into the sea. He separates the Red Sea. He takes five fish and feeds five thousand. So remind him of who he is. Remind him of how grateful you are for what he is doing in your life. And remind him of his promises to heal us by his stripes...to listen to anyone who had the faith of a mustard seed. This God can do so much. All we have to do is show up and make our wants known. And then end in deep and profound gratitude for all the ways he is moving in your life right now without your awareness of it. He is already opening doors. And he is already planning a successful surgery. And he is already working on the finances and all the other stuff you deal with each day. Trust his time. Trust him. And trust that you have the power to move those mountains yourself with that itty bitty mustard seed.

God doesn't see problems. He sees possibilities. And wait until you see the things he is making possible for YOU!

Erin said...

Where do I sign?