Thursday, April 22, 2010

I have now returned from Atlanta after an amazing 24 hours meeting the most amazing women. After listening to their stories, I felt hugely unworthy of the honor of receiving one of the 7 scholarships awarded this year.
The Possible Woman Foundation seeks to grant scholarships to non-traditional women, those of us who do not qualify for "normal" scholarships, whose lives have been interrupted by hardships, challenges that most normal people do not see. Yet despite these challenges, their scholarship recipients forage ahead, using the challenge to do good in the community.
The other women experienced the absolute WORST that life had to offer but turned it around, refused to be victims, focused on what is POSSIBLE, not what is impossible and through education propose to make dreams come true.
At 11:56 on MOnday morning, I boarded a plane. I sat next to a Nurse Practitioner on her way back to Atlanta and we had a conversation about Nursing and about Sarcoma. I landed at 2:40est and stood for a minute to get my bearings and then headed towards the baggage claim area to find the driver. The Atlanta airport is HUGE and I walked what felt like a mile, taking in the people, the sights, the sounds, the busy-ness of the terminal and the excitement. I don't care for flying but I find airports exciting and full of possibility. I have suppressed wanderlust. When I see all these people boarding planes, I imagine exotic places, lush vacations, sites of beauty and I want to travel and see and experience. One of these days, I hope NOT to suppress the wanderlust anymore. I found my driver and I sat down and waited for the arrival of the other award recipient scheduled to land shortly after my flight did. We were driven to the hotel, a lush, elegant, modern and HUGE Hotel. He gave us directions to meet him at 5:30 at the door and he would take us to dinner. How cool is that? We had our own driver! I checked in and flopped down on the bed. I realized I was starving and dug into the lunch I packed for myself that I had hoped to eat on the airplane but didn't. I got dressed and was sitting there watching T.V on a nice large flat screen. About an hour later, my roomie checked in and we had a chance to talk a little before the banquet. At this time, I had met two women and I knew that they had a story to tell and I was interested to find out what that story was. At 5:30, we all gathered downstairs. We introduced ourselves and had a chance to talk a little bit on the ride to the banquet. We were treated to an open bar. We had LOTS of pictures taken of ourselves. Dinner time. On the table was a card introducing the 7 of us and what our stories were. Among us was
A survivor of 3 types of cancer.
A rape survivor
A former heroin addict and single mom of 2 who cleaned herself up and now wants to work with Juvenile offenders.
The founder of a 501.3c that transitioned women from prison to outside life
A former Meth addict and single mom of 1, who grew up in foster care now a straight A student with a bright future.
A domestic violence survivor and single mom of 4, now pursuing a Nursing degree.

As we were all individually introduced, my jaw was on the table. They chose me to be one of the seven of these incredibly strong and brilliant women. I felt hugely unworthy. WE all shared later that we all did listening to the challenges of the others. This is my life. I live it every day. As this is just my life, I never thought it was anything incredibly different or special from anyone elses. Needless to say, we were all fast friends. We had a lot to talk about. We had a lot in common. Our circumstances may have been different, but the journey and the lessons were very similar.
After our banquet was over, we were driven back to the hotel where we had a chance to talk a little bit before bed. And in the morning, we attended a conference for women who have focused on what is POSSIBLE.
This was a conference about power, not power over anyone else but power over ourselves, harnessing the power within us, using that power to institute positive change in everything we do. No matter where we are in life, we are NEVER power-less. We ALWAYS have choices. Do not make excuses. Make changes. There is never a bad time to do good and make what is POSSIBLE, a reality.
I am incredibly blessed for having the opportunity to be there. It was a 24 hours I will carry with me for life and I'm so happy that I met these women and that we decided to keep in touch and hopefully enrich each others lives.

I am also going to thank my kids, Kris and Cassie, for doing such a great job on their service project: Sammie Hartsfield's 4th Annual Bunny Drive.
Sammie was a child I met in Outreach. She died of Osteosarcoma in October but in her honor and memory, her family opted to continue her idea. Sammie urged her family to collect stuffed animals for the kids in children's hospital. www.fightsarcoma.org and Team Sammie teamed up this year to make Sammie's idea national. Kris and Cassie appealed to the congregation of St. Marcelline Catholic Church to donate stuffed animals for the kids at Comer Children's Hospital. They attended all the masses last weekend asking for the donations and we all attended all the masses this past weekend to collect them. While I was in Atlanta, they braved the rush hour traffic to deliver the animals. Great job, Kris and Cass!! My role was small. I asked the youth pastor if we could do this and I made the call to Comer to arrange the drop off. Kris and Cass did the brunt of the work. I'm proud of their effort and thankful to St. Marcelline for all their generosity.

Focusing on the POSSIBLE! I WILL get an A on that Anatomy test on Monday! Well, it's possible. Better get to studying :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, Kathy, I'm so proud of you and happy for you! I think that going to the banquet and conference gave you a unique perspective. You totally deserve to be with the other women who are also doing the impossible,or rather, the possible.

Sue G said...

What a wonderful update! It was an amazing opportunity for you, and I know all the other women feel the same way about having met YOU as you do them. You sounded so tired when you called the other night. I'm sorry I didn't return your call, but I was kept pretty busy while I was in town. Mostly visits with my elderly aunt, who recently lost her husband of 62 years. Family is really important to her, so i try to make it a point to stay in contact more and visit her when I am in town. Several days were spent at the hospital, of course, and then lots of fun times with old friends. I was generally exhausted most of the time, but a good exhausted. Not the kind one experiences on Sutent.

Kathy, your purpose is becoming more clear with every opportunity you seize hold of. You are on a path to really make a difference in this world. And you are such a good role model for your kids, for other women going thought single parenting, cancer, late in life career changes...everything.

I believe that when others see problems, we have the choice to see possibility. When others see obstacles, we have the choice to see opportunity. And when others see pain and trauma and fear, we have the choice to see God. You may think of yourself as a control freak, but it seems to me the things you control the most are the choices you make to be a light in this world.

And if you have to control something, that ain't bad.

Congratulations again on your accomplishments. Take pride in the fact that you are using the gifts God gave you...and give Him the glory.

Much love.