Wednesday, August 26, 2009

This has been a difficult year. After the cancer recurred in my lungs in November, things were looking a little bleak for me. I was geared to fight, absolutely, but though I avoid perusing statistics and facts and figures, I know the prognosis for stage 4 Sarcoma and it was difficult not to simply write myself off. I experienced little bits of depression and some feelings of unbridled hopelessness nevertheless, I carried on, worked hard, enjoyed my Thanksgiving and Christmas as much as possible. Well, SHAME ON ME! Many years ago, I remember reading an obituary in the local paper for a women who was diagnosed with leukemia. She was terminal yet the obituary stated that remained in school working towards her degree and accepted a proposal from her long time beau. Why, I thought, would she bother? It was over for her. Curtains! Why start anything? 20 years later, I know why. Because as long as I have a breath in my body, I am alive. I am living. There is never ever a time when we can simply stop living. A life with disease is still a life. I have no clue when the elusive cure for cancer will be found. It can be today. It can be next year. We had no idea how my cancer was going to react to the trial drug but it, in addition to my lifestyle changes, may have resulted in a stay for me. Statistics are liars. Sure they can show trends but a statistic is just a number that cannot measure my spirit, my will, my choices, or the strength of my determination. Never should anyone stop living in the face of any adversity. So here I am almost one year later in a better position than where I started and I am making plans for the FUTURE. The word is still a little daunting for me. When I try to form the words "Next year" sometimes my head spins as I remind myself I can only deal with today. Next year is an enigma. But, life seems to be urging me in a direction I never thought I'd ever go. The idea of letting go of the bits of my old life that sustained me, is scary but I'm not dead yet and I may live to 80, I just don't know so, onward. I am ready to let go.

Post Script:
I would like to thank a few earthly angels who helped me with a few needs. School started today for the high schoolers. Emily begins Kindergarten on Monday. I was looking at over $1000 in fees and had no idea where it was going to come from. When I thought of those fees and the fact that I still needed to buy their supplies, new clothes, and shoes, I was in a bit of a panic. I owed the village $500 for parking tickets and fines for leaving the garbage cans on the curb longer than 24 hours. (The kids owe the garbage can fees. I left them out there to teach them a lesson as I knew we would be fined.) I owed the church $400 for Confirmation classes. $800 of the school fees were waived thanks to an industrious worker at the high school. My father in law handled the new clothes and shoes for Kris and Cass. Grandma handled Emily's school supplies and a few new pairs of jeans. A kind woman from the Village knocked down the $500 to $250 and an unexpected find paid for the COnfirmation classes. I've been asked how I will handle the financial problems associatd with tuition costs etc. if I am accepted into the nursing program. It will work out. I am almost, 99.9% sure that it will. Just a feeling.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Kathy,
Most community colleges will have online classes that are just like the regular classes and equally accredited. Go, Kathy!!! Rah! Rah! Rah!

Elsa D. said...

You will be a fantastic nurse. Go for it!

Daria said...

Like your attitude ... all the best to you.

Kris said...

I know that your faith life has increased in the past two years or so, and I truly believe God will protect and help His own. Elsa is right, you will make a terrific nurse.

Sue G said...

Kathy:

The first thing I told all my doctors when I was diagnosed was they were not allowed to tell me statistics. I am a researcher by nature and profession, and I have never researched any of the cancers i have been diagnosed with. Crazy? Foolish? In total denial?

No, just standing firm on my belief that God is bigger than the statistics. I know I have the kind of left brain that would ruminate and create the statistic in my body. So, instead, I have chosen to stand on the Truth. God heals.

There are facts. And there are truths. And sometimes the facts interfere with the truth, often obscuring them with fear and worry. So, you just stand on everything you believe and leave the statistics to the people who find them useful.

Statistics are averages of large populations. Average. And you are unique in every way. I have every reason to believe you will be unique in your sarcoma journey as well.

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I agree with Sue G. Don't go by statistics. Each persons Karma is different. Read the book "cancer is not a diseases" by andreas moritz. You will know that how the statistics have been manipulated in this country. Most people die from radiation, chemotherapy, stress from surgery and amputation. No one dies from Cancer. Do pranayama (yogic breathing) exercises as taught by Ramdev maharaj. its free on youtube (just look up "yoga for cancer english") on youtube. An important key is to never think that you are diseased, and never have any self pity or victim mentality. Don't let the disease become your identity. Have faith in god, and live cheerfully. The day he calls you, you will be happier than ever. Good luck and god bless.

best wishes,
K