Monday, August 09, 2010

I'm back from the great beyond known as Wisconsin and my few day trip to our little cabin in the woods. The weather was beautiful albeit a little hot and muggy for the first few days and the kids and I were able to enjoy the beach and the scenery associated with the deep woods in the Wisconsin state forest. Emily had a ball and spent the entire time in high gear and was quite the big pest on the last day as we wound things down, cleaned up and drove home. Our Wisconsin cabin is a great place to read which leads me into why I asked the book and movie question (sit back. this may be long but there is a method to my madness). My mother was an English teacher, something I thought odd as my mother was an immigrant from Europe who like many immigrants in the late 40's and 50's were escaping Communism and Nazism. English was not her native language. My mother was Czechoslovakian and she, my aunt and grandparents walked 20 miles through Czech forest and spent two years in a displaced persons camp in Munich before they made their way to the States. As my mom had a heart condition and had to avoid activities with a lot of physical activity, she read books, lots and lots and lots of books. Reading was her outlet and in our early days, my mother required that we read at least 25 pages a day. The first book she forced me read was "Pippi Longstocking". Did I enjoy the book? NO! But, I did become a reader eventually and every two weeks, my mom dropped us kids off at the library and I chose my stack of novels. I read every night before bed and on every vacation to the cabin and of course, other places. I majored in two subjects in college. My main major was Psychology but I took English courses for fun and to force me to find time to read. I added it as a second major my Sophomore year. Not every classic I read tickled my imagination. I suffered through "The Crying of Lot 49" and "The House of Seven Gables." But, I loved, loved, loved Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon" and Daphne Dumaurier's "Rebecca." While "Wuthering Heights" may have made most of the guys in my class gag, I couldn't put it down. These three novels are my most favorite of all time. Did they change my viewpoint? Not really but I was so engrossed in them that the rest of the world melted away and I became part of the world these authors crafted. George Orwell's "1984" and "Animal Farm" did help shape my world view. "The Lord of the Flies" spawned a great debate on the nature of man and Steinbeck's "Winter of our Discontent" illustrated so well that sometimes people are not who they seem to be as it follows Ethan's descent into moral bankruptcy with actions that appear to be well intentioned.

I am not the kind of moviegoer in line for a blockbuster on day 1. You will never seem me standing in line for hours for a ticket to "Harry Potter." I prefer to see them after the excitement has died down and usually on DVD. I love anything Star Wars and Indiana Jones (except that last one. I don't even count that one). I loved "Shawshank Redemption," "The Usual Suspects," and "A Fish Called Wanda" which I maintain is the funniest movie EVER. "Dead Man Walking" and "Schindler's List" rocked my world. I can watch "The Sound of Music" over and over and over again and never get tired of it. What is not to like about "The Music Man"? And when it comes to guilty pleasures, the old movie "Meatballs" and of course "Animal House" fit the bill. "Jaws" still makes me afraid to go in the water. And, my favorite Disney movie is "Toy Story", all 3 of them. I think I was more excited about "Toy Story 3" than the kids but I dragged them along anyway.

So... now that you've suffered through my diatribe about books and film, I decided to open my own online book store and DVD store. I wanted some reader recommendations to help with the launch and the blog I am trying to write about book and movies and the ones that made the biggest impacts. The sites are located at these web addresses

www.greatbooksforu.com
www.greatdvdsforu.com

If you buy books and movies online, please consider using my web portals and if you don't but have friends that do, please let them know about them. I plan on donating about 10% of proceeds to Pediatric and Adult Sarcoma research which is a cause I care tremendously about and if you read something or see a movie that is so good that it deserves a mention, please let me know and I will read, see and promote or write a guest review and I'll publish it. My links are also listed on the right margin under my websites.

While on the subject of Sarcoma Research, we are trying to promote awareness, via Nascar once again. We did not finish the last race in the top 10 but we were so close we decided to try once more. You can vote for our Nascar design at
http://www.sponsafier.com/#/gallery/view/360505

Winning this design contest could mean awareness. Awareness could = research dollars. If you have access to more than one computer, you can vote more than once every day. Thank you so much and thank you for your support in advance.

No comments: