Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!!

What a difference a week can make. Slowly but surely all these little nickel and dime issues are being worked and resolved. The new stove and washing machine are up and running. The dishwasher is defunct but Cass and Kris work if you feed them. Emily was horrible for about a week but thankfully, her father had FINALLY put her on his plan. It only took him 4 years! She is medicated. COBRA thing is straightened out and it's affordable until December. After that...well, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Unemployment is straightened out for now though I missed a day of class to tend to it and it turns out the class was not the issue. I am still scratching my head trying to figure out what the issue was exactly but whatever! I certified my benefits and will have to do it again in another week. The last things on the MUST GET DONE LIST, are brakes and oil change and find a job.
I got a call last week to interview for a 3rd shift dispatch position for a logistics company. I was excited about the interview but received a call at the last minute canceling the interview. The company decided they wanted candidates with dispatch experience. All they wanted was customer service experience at first. Then the rules changed. I was disappointed. But the very next day, I received a call from a company that I was HOPING and PRAYING would call me for an interview, AND THEY DID!! If I get the job, that would be wonderful and it would scratch a HUGE to do off my list. I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up but I am excited about this potential position. I'm trying a little visualization and sending my order out to the universe ala "The Secret" and we shall see what happens. It's a tech support position. MY FAVORITE! COME ON JOB!!!!!
I applied for a job at my old company in their customer service center. I have 3 years experience as a team leader in an inbound call center. As I met all the other criteria, I sent in my application. It took less than 45 minutes for them to send me a bong letter. "While you certainly meet the requirements, we are looking for candidates who more CLOSELY meet the requirements." HUH? "But.." the letter went on, "If we are lacking in qualified applicants, we will give you another look." Yes, I'm scratching my head a bit. I looked at my candidate profile today. It appears they are lacking in more closely meeting the requirement candidates because my application is now "under review."

Chemistry is going well. I am finding that I *gasp, ENJOY the class. I may change my mind after this first test but, the labs are fun. Maybe I just secretly like setting things on fire. I did a good job of accidentally setting on fire a beaker full of wooden sticks. Here's a lesson for all you novices out there. Make sure that after you do your flame tests, you double check to make sure that the fire is completely extinguished on the match before you put it in the waste container. Fortunately, I noticed the flames before we were evacuated. But a day in chem lab without flames is well, an oddity for me. I don't know why my teacher likes me. I've got this little black rain cloud, which may have come in handy on Thursday if it had actually rained, following me around. And, speaking of rain, we had a gully washer blast through here on Friday. Thanks Iowa! The storm came through at 75 mph and brought 90mph wind gusts with it. All 6 cats, 3 kids and I were downstairs. I had kerosene lamps, candles, flashlights and a change of clothing ready JUST IN CASE. When the first wind gust hit the window, my house shook, the lights went out, and the kids shouted an expletive because they didn't have time to save their WII game.. While I was fiddling with the candles, the lights came back on. Thank goodness! (This time I made sure the match was out. Good thinking huh?) The storm blew through in 30 minutes. WE ventured on back upstairs and life returned to normal for a time. Round two was scheduled to hit us around 9pm. As it was Friday, I had a shift at Walmart. When I got there, all the employees in my strip mall were standing outside. The store was pitch black. Power had been out to that side of the road since the first gust which knocked down a pole. I didn't complain. I sat down outside and chatted with my coworkers until the lights came on 90 minutes later. Hoards of people came running into the store when we reopened. I looked at the steady stream of people running in here like we were the last bastion on the planet for paper towels and expected big important things to cross my belt after all, the second storm was less than an hour away and it was just as red on the radar as the first. I looked for granny's heart meds, maybe some diapers for the baby or extension cords and flashlights for those who still didn't have power. I got none of that. My first order that night was little trees and soft soap. LITTLE TREES (car air freshener) AND SOFT SOAP???? That guy trampled over tons of people to buy LITTLE TREES????? This dude risked his life in cruddy weather so his car will smell mountain rain fresh??? God bless America! The subsequent orders were just like that. Hair dye. Doritos. Pepsi. Condoms (which I can ALMOST see), make up, perfume, and those stupid animal shaped rubber bands. When round two hit, the store looked like the NY stock exchange. Of course the power went out for a few minutes. When we got the lights back, the registers were having a very hard time getting back in action. I looked at a sea of angry faces and heard the same question "How long is it going to take?" over and over and over again. I wanted to say "I dunno. Weather fairy is not in my job description" but I simply stated that it took over 20 minutes for the registers to reboot the last time but it was difficult to tell and it was still storming outside with some very nasty lightning and wind. Some took their place in line and waited and I also watched a mass exodus of grumbly people who did not want to wait and then spent the night picking up and sorting abandoned carts. Good times! Good times!

So..there you have it. I have a nice tasting glass of red in my glass, a chemistry book that I really should be looking at and my blog right now. Back to the books!
oh yeah..scans are on Thursday.

No comments: