Thursday, March 18, 2010

It's that dreaded time again.....SCAN TIME!!! I will say it one more time, I HATE SCAN TIME!! I hate the barium. I hate feeling like someone took a vise grip to my intestines every time I have to drink that crap. I hate the tummy ache and the multiple trips to the potty. I hate the scanxiety waiting for the results and right now, I am treating this like a huge interruption to my vastly busy schedule and I am downright annoyed at the cancer intrusion. SO THERE!

Almost two weeks ago, Kristopher participated in IHSA, the Illinois High School Association annual music contest. He was performing a solo and performing in a quartet, the solo occurring at an obscene time of the morning, 8:30am at Lake Zurich High School which is a nice little 45 minute drive. We had intended on being on the road at 7am so Kris had a chance to warm up. Needless to say, it didn't quite go off that way. I worked Friday night until 11pm, couldn't fall asleep until after 1am and though had my alarm set early enough, I slept through it and apparently, Kris slept through his and Cass slept through hers. None of us got out of bed until 6:45 and after mediating a fight between Kris and Cass over who got to use the shower first, I sent Cass in there and sternly warned Kris his shower should last less than 10 minutes and not the usual 2 hour shower he takes to avoid doing housework. (Note to self: start saving to modify downstairs bathroom from half bath to 3/4 SOON!) Kris proceeded to inform me at 7am that he did not have a white shirt to wear and what was I going to do about it? Hmmm...well let me put it to you this way Kris, NOTHING! Holy smokes! I work at a STORE. I worked at a STORE just the night before. I worked at a STORE every weekend for the 6 months that he knew about this solo contest. So of course, Kris got upset and threatened not to go and I, of course, told him to get his butt downstairs and put on his faded, holey, Led Zeppelin shirt for all I care. The bus is leaving at 7:15. CHOP! CHOP! We pulled out of the driveway at 7:25 and proceeded on our way. Our Mapquest directions were a little unclear and I missed one of the turnoffs. As I'm turning around, Kris is yelling at me for forgetting where Lake Zurich High School is because we were just there a year ago. Do I really have to explain to a 16 year old that over 2 million facts entered my head in the past year and every time one fact entered my brain, something else fell out? Apparently, I did. So while he was screaming he would not be able to warm up, I turned the bus around and got myself on the right track. It was now 8:15. Kris was scheduled to be on stage and I was still a fair distance from the high school. Success, finally on route 22. Directions say turn on Church street. 3 miles down the road, it was clear once more that I missed Church street. How? I went backwards and saw no Church street. In desperation, I took the first right and miraculously found Church. We pulled up to the high school 3 minutes before showtime. I dropped Kris off and parked the car, ran to the entrance, stood in line forever to get directions to the classroom, and somehow made it. Kris did not do as well on his solo as he wanted but, the quartet was wonderful.
This week was an Anatomy test week and I was very busy memorizing muscles, 56 muscles originations and insertions AND actions. I found that hugely difficult. Generally, I look for patterns. There just weren't any and it took me quite a long time to get them into my head. Of course, the test only had 10 questions on that and 40 questions on the two chapters I didn't spend a lot of time on. ARGH!! Hematology and Cardiac care is just off my list of Nursing possibilities. Still waiting for the official bad news on this. I had an A going in. Will I still have an A at the end of the day??? I am seriously hoping my guesswork was in top form last night.
If you haven't done so, please vote for our Sarcoma awareness NASCAR! We're up to 1400 votes. Thank you so much!!!
Sarcoma NASCAR

PS: added Friday 3/19, I got an A on the Anatomy test. :) Maybe I'll put cardiac care and hematology back on the list...

4 comments:

Sue G said...

How could you miss Church Street? It's a stoplight.

I lived in Lake Zurich for more than 30 years and was on the Board of Education. Small world. Very small world. I lived near Quentin and 22.

Next time call me. :-)

It's so fun to read a blog and get a little taste of home.

Prayers for good scans. I go to Chicago next month for mine. And this time I'm staying in the suburbs and driving down to Northwestern two days for scans and doctor appointments. Now you have me thinking about the barium side effects and a bathroom 30 miles away instead of across the street. Yikes.

Lisa Smith said...

Hi Kathy! Thank you so much for stopping by and introducing yourself!!

I was diagnosed with sarcoma of the breast in January and just got my tumor results back last week...high grade pleomorphic sarcoma...what in the heck that means I have yet to find out! (My next appointment is April 12 where we might learn if chemo or radiation is recommended)

While I should be fighting for my life, I am spending a horrendous amount of time fighting my insurance company who doesn't think it's necessary to pay for me to be seen at a sarcoma center...they thing their podunk hospital can treat me just as well as MDACC in Houston!

So...did you have radiation or chemo and how many surgeries have you had...if you don't mind me asking. I'm just curious about what other sarcoma survivors have gone through. my email is lisa(at)andrewsmithteam(dot)com.

Thank you again, lisa

Nonalee said...

Congrats on your "A" on the anatomy test. I never doubted you for the world...

Michelle said...

Just stopping by to say hello and read your blog :)
Good luck with the scans. I hate them too!
Hugs