Friday, February 26, 2010

About Brivanib..

I've had the pleasure of talking with a few people who stumbled across the blog looking for information about Brivanib so this entry is a repeat for many as I wanted to post an update on this drug trial.

I started the trial on Jan 14, 2009. My official diagnosis is Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor, low to intermediate grade with mets to the lung. MPNST is a form of Sarcoma. I'm in the Phase 2 trial at U of C. For 12 weeks, I was guaranteed to be on the drug for 12 weeks and then was randomized to either the placebo or the actual drug. Initially, the side effects I experienced were light headedness within 15 minutes after taking the drug, thirst (I craved water), fatigue, and weight gain. I gained weigh rapidly, at least 20 pounds in 2 months but, if given the choice between a growing butt and a growing tumor, there really is no contest. The first 12 weeks, I saw initial tumor shrinkage and growth to one of the nodules. After randomization, I was put on the placebo. No, I don't know this for a fact but I experience no side effects on the pills I am taking. I have been stable since March of last year with nothing new and no growth which is wonderful!!! I can't vouch for what anyone else experienced regarding side effects. I've heard of some nausea, some extreme tiredness, some shortness of breath, some increased blood pressure, and some liver enzyme increases but none of those were things I experienced personally. Nutritionally, I follow a modified version of the Budwig protocol and add Vitamin D3 and DHA as supplements. I had been reading that Omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA, are great cancer fighters and may act on my tumor. I don't eat anything with sunflower, safflower, vegetable or partially hydrogenated oils and spend more time than I have looking over ingredients before I buy or eat something. I like to think the combination of both my lifestyle changes and medications helped me. I don't mind being tapped for questions on anything and purposefully left my email and facebook available. Please use them if you want. One of the pluses to this cancer journey, is meeting all the cancer warriors out there embroiled in the battle.
This concludes this Brivanib update :)

No comments: