Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sarcoma Awareness Week

It's International Sarcoma Awareness Week and many events are taking place to advocate for and teach about Sarcoma. I know I sound like a broken record. Before diagnosis in 2006, I erroneously thought that all cancers were the same and that treating Sarcoma would be no different than treating breast cancer. Little did I know that there were no chemotherapies for my Sarcoma type and grade, at least nothing outside the experimental realm. Little did I know that the subset of the population most afflicted with this disease were children. Little did I know that a typical sarcoma patient tries multiple chemos, endures multiple radiation sessions, and goes through multiple invasive surgeries only to have this cancer return again and again and again. Little did I know that the prognosis for stage 1 high grade sarcoma is only slightly better than stage 3 breast cancer.

During this Sarcoma Awareness week, please tell someone, forward an email about Sarcoma, show someone a patient blog, or donate to this most worthy cause. 10,000 sarcoma patients are diagnosed yearly. 5000 die before the magical 5 years. While the prognosis for some cancers has improved little by little, the prognosis for Sarcoma patients has not gotten better. This week is yellow ribbon week. Help us spread the word. For more information on sarcomas, make a donation towards the CURE or meet some of the great fighters out there, see www.fightsarcoma.org

No comments: